The mission of Duke Health and State Government Relations (DGR) is to advance the strategic goals of the Duke community with policy makers.
We represent Duke on health-related issues in Washington, DC, and on all state issues that are relevant to the university, health system, and Duke LifePoint Healthcare.
DGR works to:
ENGAGE the Duke community and external policy stakeholders on any issue that may impact the institution.
EDUCATE the Duke community on legislative matters that may affect Duke’s missions of education, research, patient care, and community service, in addition to ethics and lobbying regulations to ensure compliance across campus.
ADVOCATE for public policy that supports a positive environment for research universities and academic medicine.
To assure coordination of efforts, we work cooperatively with a number of other Duke departments, including:
Contact DGR if you are:
- Inviting a government official to campus
- Testifying before a legislative committee
- Evaluating proposed legislation
- Engaging with a federal or state government official
- Complying with and reporting of lobbying and ethics requirements