Duke Health Government Relations (DGR) is responsible for representing Duke on health related issues with elected officials and government agencies at the federal level in Washington, D.C. and throughout North Carolina. The Government Relations staff:
- Engages the Duke community and external policy stakeholders on any issue that may impact the institution.
- Educates the Duke community on legislative and regulatory matters that may affect Duke’s missions of education, research, patient care, and community service.
- Advocates for public policy that supports a positive environment for research universities and academic medicine.
- Coordinates meetings for leadership, faculty, and students with elected officials and agency representatives.
- Invites elected officials to campus for educational programs and to serve as guests at special events.
- Monitors and collaborates with the Duke Office of State Relations on health issues across North Carolina.
To assure coordination of efforts, we work cooperatively with a number of other Duke departments, including:
Contact DGR if you are:
- Inviting a government official to campus
- Testifying before a legislative committee
- Evaluating proposed legislation
- Engaging with government officials
- Complying with and reporting of lobbying and ethics requirements